Understanding Failure. Adjusting practice.
The topic of the Humanitarian Congress 2015 is Understanding Failure – Adjusting Practice. Under this overarching theme, the sessions during the Congress are divided into five sub-categories:
1) Political Aspects of Humanitarian Aid: The discussions centre around various political and moral aspects of humanitarian aid – such as rescue at sea of migrants, the impact of media attention on aid funding, access to people in areas of conflict and intellectual property rights in relation to patents.
2) Medical Humanitarian Aid: The speakers in this cluster will focus on medical questions, including access to adequate treatment, reaching out to neglected populations and the lessons learned from the Ebola outbreak in Western Africa.
3) Introductory Sessions: Introductory classes are open to anyone who wants to gain an insight into t
he basics of Medical Humanitarian Aid, International Humanitarian Law or How to Become a Humanitarian Aid Worker.
4) Country-specific sessions: The country-sessions include insights into the conflicts in the Ukraine, Somalia and a thematic evening on the ongoing crisis in the East of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
5) Expert workshops: Experienced workers in the field of humanitarian aid will lead these workshops, sharing their experience in subjects such as the use of predictive tools in humanitarian aid, the issue of corruption or post-conflict reconstruction and rehabilitation. The expert workshops are primarily for experienced practitioners in humanitarian aid since their aim is to share experiences and to discuss technical questions.